Internships are an ideal way for students to get hands-on experience in the world outside of the classroom, to enjoy cultural immersion and gain intercultural communication skills.
CYA has been helping students to secure internships that give them the opportunity to work with and learn directly from professionals in their fields, ranging from sectors that connect to Greece’s ancient heritage, to contemporary economic and social issues, to business, the arts, and many, many, more. Internships at some organizations may be arranged as part of specific courses.
Media Lab Internship
We offer a fantastic in-house opportunity for students interested in building their portfolio, knowledge, and skills in digital media and communications. Applications for the CYA Media Lab Internship are open to all CYA students prior to the beginning of each semester, and application deadlines are announced beforehand.
CYA has a strong network of contacts in Athens. Below are details of just some of the organizations with which we collaborate and some of the opportunities on offer.
Volunteering tasks and internship content will depend on each organization’s needs at the time of application
– ANEMON PRODUCTIONS – produces documentaries, educational programs and cross-media projects as a catalyst for discussion, inspiration and impact. Special focus is given to projects promoting intercultural and historical understanding, across Europe, human rights and sustainable living (translation, backstage support, film/ theater marketing and production).
– BLEGEN LIBRARY-WIENER LAB – at the American School of Classical Studies – Cataloging, archival work, support with video archiving of lectures (Wiener).
– CYCLADIC MUSEUM – Museum dedicated to the study and promotion of ancient cultures of the Aegean and Cyprus with an emphasis on Cycladic art. Volunteers might assist with translations, research, office and educational program support, archiving, museum tours in English.
– ELIAMEP (Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy) – Provides a forum for public debate on issues of European integration and international relations. Conducts scientific research that contributes to a better informed and documented knowledge of the European and international environment. Volunteers may assist with office work, research, and support on special projects.
– HELMEPA (Hellenic Marine Environment Protection Association) – Association based on the voluntary commitment of seafarers and ship owners to protect the seas from ship-generated pollution. Volunteers might assist with office work, research, special projects, and more.
– INSIDER MAGAZINE – A periodical covering art, design, travel, opinion, and reviews that originally began as an information guide for tourists and expatriates, but has worked its way into the everyday life of Athenians in general. Volunteers might help with digital content-creating newsletters, archiving, tagging and uploading content on the website, and social media management.
– IOBE (Foundation for Economic and Industrial Research) – A private, politically independent, non-partisan body dealing with major economic issues. Volunteers may do research and assist in preparations for conferences and special projects among other duties.
– JEWISH MUSEUM – A museum whose purpose is to collect, preserve, and exhibit all elements of history, tradition, and culture of the Greek Jewish community. Volunteers might help with archives, do some translating or transliterating, research projects.
– LALAOUNIS MUSEUM – Museum and non-profit organization devoted to the art of jewelry and jewelry making in Greece. Volunteers might help with archives, research projects having to do with the info on the history of the jewelry.
– PROLEPSIS – Humanitarian organization specializing in preventive medicine, environmental, and occupational health. Volunteers might assist with medical research, health promotion, and other office work.
– SOLIDARITY NOW – A collective providing a space for civil organizations to collaborate and design programs and activities that address poverty and social integration of marginalized and vulnerable groups. Volunteers might do office work, help with research projects, or help children and adults learn English.
– Athenian Agora Excavation – Promising students can apply for the ASCSA summer excavation in the Athenian Agora